On monday there will be 7.000.000.000 people on the planet earth (and I guess a few out in space) according to United Nations Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs. Some facts (quote from worldometers.com):
- reached 6 billion in 1999
- is predicted to reach 7 billion on October 31, 2011
- has doubled in 40 years from 1959 (3 billion) to 1999 (6 billion)
- is currently growing at a rate of around 1.15 % per year
- growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at 2%
- growth rate is currently declining and is projected to continue to decline in the coming years
- average annual population change is currently estimated at over 77 million
- world population will nearly stabilize at just above 10 billion persons after 2200
- a tremendous change occurred with the industrial revolution: whereas it had taken all of human history up to the year 1800 for world population to reach 1 billion, the second billion was achieved in only 130 years (1930), the third billion in less than 30 years (1959), the fourth billion in 15 years (1974), the fifth billion in 13 years (1987), the sixth billion in 12 years (1999) and the seventh billion in 12 years (2011). During the 20th century alone, the population in the world has grown from 1.65 billion to 6 billion.
Read more on http://www.worldometers.com
4 thoughts on “7.000.000.000 people on earth”
Atmospheric picture and incredible stats on the world population.
Thanks Mufidah! I’m really happy that you liked this pic!! 🙂
I’ve liked it myself, since I took it but I’ve never really found out why I like it so much 🙂 Strange, but true!
Thank you for commenting!
The number is too big that I am not able to read it! > . <